Recommended Computing for ANSYS Products
ANSYS Mechanical, CFX, Fluent, AUTODYN, HFSS, and MAXWELL are all supported on 64bit Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012 R2. This platform gives the analysis community great computing capacity while delivered at commodity pricing. A multicore 64 bit processor system can address large amounts of RAM and allow large file sizes. A suggested analysis system may be something like:
- Multicore Processors
- Windows 64bit Operating System
- 2 GB (or higher) graphics card (DRD has had good experience with NVIDIA cards)
- 16-128 GB of RAM based on problem size
- Four 300+ GB hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration. The fastest performance will come from SSD drives. However, 10,000 and 15,000 RPM SAS drives can be obtained at a lower cost and still provide very good performance when placed in a RAID 0 array.
- A high end hardware RAID controller. Avoid entry-level or software raid controllers to maximize performance.
- 17" or larger flat panel display. Dual monitors are often desirable.
If you wish, contact DRD technical support (email@example.com) for further hardware configuration assistance when ordering a new computer.
For structural problems the ANSYS HPC product is needed for parallel processing with greater than 2 processors whether the processors reside on the same computer or over a network. A computer with a single six core is considered as six processors. Similarly, a dual ten core machine would be considered a 20 processor computer. Please consult with your DRD sales representative for the appropriate ANSYS HPC licensing for the best price/performance ratio on these multicore platforms.
For fluid problems, the ANSYS HPC product is needed for parallel processing with more than 1 processor. Please consult with your DRD sales representative for details.
ANSYS software is generally obtained by downloading via the web.
An ANSYS EKM system is recommended for storage, searching, and retrieval of previous ANSYS models.